When I was trying to come up with a name for my blog, I thought long and hard about what to call it. My first thought was “Random Musings”…. Do a quick internet search on Random Musings and you will realize why I discarded that idea. Apparently, everybody and their brother (and their sister, and their aunt, and their wife’s brother’s 2nd cousin) seems to be using the name Random Musings. I wanted to stand out a little bit…
A few other names I thought about using (most with similar meanings) were:
- Random Reverie – I decided against this because it still used the word Random. If I was going to use a super-cool word like “reverie” I would need an equally cool word to go along with it. Or would I?
- Reverie – I thought this sounded pretty cool by itself, but apparently there is at least one company out there called reverie. Also, I didn’t want to appear as if I was connected to or endorsing this company I knew nothing about.
- Fortuitous Reverie – This sounded OK at first, but the more I said it the less I liked it. It’s time to forget about Reverie.
- Predictable Capriciousness – Yeah, I know it’s an oxymoron. That was kind of the point… I discarded this because it was too long.
- Delusional Certainty – Sticking with the oxymoron theme, I really like the way this one rolled off the tongue. (I even put a star beside the name.) Unfortunately, so do a lot of other people. I didn’t see many blogs named this, but the phrase is thrown around quite a bit. This upset me because I thought for sure this one was the winner.
So I started thinking about what type of things I would post here, and I could not nail them down to one single type of post. All I could foresee was a jumbled up, mishmash, patchwork-collection of miscellaneous information. A hodgepodge, if you will… Hodgepodge… That’s it! And thus, a blog name was born.